Thursday, May 5, 2011

second day in Beijing

Yesterday I had a wonderful evening with Andrea and her father - we went to a restaurant where we had lots of interesting (vegetarian!) food that was presented in a lovely, floral way.

This morning I met my second CSC China 13 teammate - Tom from Germany. We decided to explore the subway and after some time we found the station :o) and got to the forbidden city, which we did not enter as we will do that tomorrow with Thiago.

Two very interesting things happened at that place:

1) I was very honoured because obviously the Chinese are so happy that Susanne from Austria is visiting their country that they had Austrian flags fly all over the place in front of the palace. To my greatest disappointment I had to realise in the end that they did not do that for me... a state visit of the Austrian Chancellor. Damn.

2) When I filled in the immigration form, I had a good laugh, because they do not use the word "foreigners" but "aliens" - I thought that this was very funny, but now I know why: they DO think we are aliens! Only 5 min after we stepped out of the subway, I was being photographed like some kind of rare bird. The last time I felt like that was when I was sitting on horseback wearing a strange costume symbolizing a Bavarian mascot at a German traditional parade.

I wanted to add some photos, but it just does not work, so I will try to add them later this week.
The assignment is approaching and I am getting nervous about it - but at the moment we are still on holiday and it is fascinating to dive into this very unfamiliar world...

stay tuned!  - Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment