Monday, May 23, 2011

Beginning of the third week in Shijiazhuang

Dear Blog-Fans….

Today Thiago and I had our third presentation, this time at the Ambow Training Center. While we waited for the start of the show, we were sitting in a conference room with glass windows. We were drinking our water and chatting with one marketing lady who invited us to her home for dinner on the weekend, when…
Ok, I need to explain something before I go on. I think that she actually wanted to invite only Thiago. To be quite honest, I would be totally fine with that. 
Unfortunately, she did not want to be impolite, so she invited both of us. 
Unfortunately, our interpreter is not aware of the concept of being polite and invited himself to the happening as he feels we will need a translator.
At least Wuyanmin (that is the name of the lady) was able to give Thiago one personal present: a Chinese name! The name she gave him is something like “Wong Shiao” which means “King Handsome”. :-) I really like that! Oh wow, Chinese girls really have a crush on my team-mate!!

Now let’s continue with the story: so we were sitting in the glass room (not classroom), when suddenly a never-ending procession of young people passed by (more than 200 as we learned afterwards) who all gazed in our room, so we soon got the feeling of being in the zoo, some kind of animal and the visitors were really amazed from where the zoo got these really alien creatures.

It was really a whole lot of students! After our presentations we had some tough questions like “what do you think about Chinese e-business?” (oh my goodness!!! No clue!!) and “what did IBM do to survive the economic crisis?” and “You talk about Culture and Values, but what do you think is really important to win in the marketplace?” and (my favourite): “When do you feel successful?” I was happy that the room had air-condition as I was starting to sweat because of the necessity of giving lots of diplomatic answers that would even make some politicians blush… Wow. No more singing and “Thiago is so handsome”-quotations… 

a really big hall - never spoke to that many people before...

a think neither did Thiago..

Most of them were taking notes (in order to prepare difficult questions...)


Tomorrow I will check out the new IBM location and work on my sales workshop / sales trainings lecture. That will be a tough one again…

See you  -  Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment